You do not have to go to the doctor’s office to get your vaccinations! Here at Futrell Pharmacy, we have a selection of vaccinations. Some of the vaccinations that we offer include the annual flu shot (quadrivalent and high dose), the shingles shot (Shingrix), the pneumonia vaccine (Prevnar 13), and the Tdap booster. Ask your pharmacist today about being vaccinated today.
Why get the flu shot?
The flu shot is the best way to protect yourself, and maybe even others around you from catching the flu. Every year, it is important to get the flu shot because every flu season is different. The virus has the ability to slightly change itself each year so that the flu shot from the previous year will not be effective. That means, every year we have a new flu virus we have to fight and protect ourselves from.
When is the best time to get a flu shot?
The best time of the year to get a flu shot is before flu season, which usually is in the early fall. It is recommended to get the vaccine in September or October. It takes about two weeks in order for your body to develop antibodies against the virus to protect you.
Who should get the flu shot?
- Everyone above the age of 6 months should get the flu shot.. However, in North Carolina, in order to get your flu shot at the pharmacy, you must be at least 14 years old. Those younger than 14 must get the flu shot from their doctor.
Who should not get the flu shot?
- Children younger than 6 months. Their body is not able to make antibodies to protect them from the virus.
- Those with severe, life-threatening allergies to the vaccine or any ingredients (gelatin, antibiotics or eggs).
- If you are not sure if you should get the flu shot or not, ask the pharmacy team today!
- For more information about the flu shot, click here.